Are you keeping your New Year's resolutions?|
Story Archives: National Library Week
- 2013 - 334 articles
- 2012 - 1160 articles
- 2011 - 1177 articles
- 2010 - 810 articles
- 2009 - 779 articles
- 2008 - 949 articles
- December 2008 - 88 articles
- November 2008 - 73 articles
- October 2008 - 71 articles
- September 2008 - 91 articles
- August 2008 - 98 articles
- July 2008 - 98 articles
- June 2008 - 60 articles
- May 2008 - 66 articles
- April 2008 - 108 articles
- April 29th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 16 articles
- April 23rd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 1 articles
- April 22nd, 2008 (Tuesday) - 21 articles
- April 18th, 2008 (Friday) - 1 articles
- April 17th, 2008 (Thursday) - 1 articles
- April 16th, 2008 (Wednesday) - 18 articles
- April 15th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 5 articles
- April 8th, 2008 (Tuesday) - 25 articles
- April 2nd, 2008 (Wednesday) - 12 articles
- April 1st, 2008 (Tuesday) - 8 articles
- March 2008 - 70 articles
- February 2008 - 48 articles
- January 2008 - 78 articles
|National Library Week|
t's National Library Week, a time to celebrate the contributions of libraries, librarians and library workers to their schools, campuses and communities.
"Books, magazines, videos, CDs, databases, Internet access, you name it, the Franklin Parish Library has something for everyone," says Emily Arnold, library director. "One of our newest additions is the flat screen TV above the coffee bar that broadcasts news and weather channels so patrons can stay up to date on the latest current events. Our goal is to make the library the 'living room' of the parish for everyone to come, meet, get informed and enjoy our facility," Arnold adds.
As part of this annual event, the library will be hosting the following programs and events:
• Free popcorn every day during the week
• Friday morning movie on April 18 at 10 a.m.
• Friday night movie - "Enchanted" on April 18 at 7 p.m.
• Guitar Hero tournament for all ages on Saturday, April 19 at 9:30 a.m. (must register by calling 435-4336.
In addition to these activities, the library will host a basic Internet workshop on Tuesday, April 22 at 5:30 p.m. Seating is limited so registration is required. The library will also kick off a photo contest, "Reading Around Town." The public is invited to take pictures of people or a person reading somewhere in Winnsboro or in the parish. Interested persons should pick up an entry form at the library. The deadline for submissions is April 30.
Other programs offered at the library include Toddler Time, Story Hour, as well as senior movies and BINGO.
"National Library Week is not only a great time to see what's new at your library, but also a time to stand up and speak out as a library advocate," says Arnold. "There are lots of opportunities to help the Franklin Parish Library -- including volunteering for the Summer Reading Program, becoming a homework tutor, reading to children during story hour, or helping promote library programs."
The Winnsboro branch of the library is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and on Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. The Wisner branch is open on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
For more information about National Library Week and about becoming a library advocate, visit the Franklin Parish Library at 705 Prairie Street or call 435-4336.