Are you keeping your New Year's resolutions?|
Story Archives: Family loses all in pair of house fires
|Family loses all in pair of house fires|
Lacy Walker was in the front yard with her mother-in-law when she first sensed something was wrong at her home near Turkey Creek.
"I smelled electricity outside," said Walker. "That's what it smelled like."
Walker and her mother-in-law were not too concerned and returned to enjoying a restful Wednesday evening.
"We went back inside and just relaxed," Walker said.
Their relaxing evening would end at about 8 p.m.
"Then the T.V. in my son's room basically exploded," Walker said.
That signaled to the Walker family that something was going terribly wrong. A quick check revealed the attic was filled with thick, acrid smoke.
Walker said she got her two children out of the house while her husband, Mickey, called the fire department.
Within minutes, the Turkey Creek volunteer fire department was on the scene, as were firefighters from the Wisner fire department.
With the help of neighbors, the Walkers were able to remove much of their belongings from the house.
Meanwhile, firefighters disconnected electrical service to the house and extinguished a smoldering electrical fire in the attic.
Turkey Creek volunteer firefighter Johnny Trahern was one of the firefighters dispatched to the fire.
According to Trahern, the first incident was electrical in nature.
"The wires shorted out and, with the type of insulation, it just smoldered," said Trahern, a firefighter with 20 years experience. "We got up there, dug around in it and got it out."
Walker said she and her family stayed at the home and waited for "a couple of hours" as they had been instructed by firefighters.
During that time, they returned their belongings to the house. After waiting the prescribed time, they went to Mickey Walker's mother's house to sleep.
At 4:30 a.m. on Thursday morning, the Walkers were awakened by a phone call.
Their house was on fire again.
"When we got there, it was terrible," Walker said.
The home and all of their belongings were engulfed in flames.
Trahern recalled traveling past the home en route the to fire station for a truck.
"I live maybe two miles from our station," Trahern said. "When I went by the road to get a fire truck, there was just a little bit of the back wall standing. It was already on the ground."
Walker said the family "lost everything" in the second fire. Worse, she said the family did not have rental insurance, so they have no way to recoup the loss of their possessions.
A benefit account has been established at Franklin State Bank. Individuals interested in making donations can address the deposit to: Michael and Lacy Walker Benefit Account.
Also, members of the Walkers' church family and others have donated clothing, toys and other items to the Walkers.
Walker expressed gratitude for the outpouring of support and said the hearts of her family went out to those who have shown them generosity.
"We just want to thank everybody in the community for everything they have done for us during this tragedy," Walker said.